Happy Birthday, Mom (Or. Stoic Halals)...

Hi Droogs,

I was gobsmacked when I found mother's secret stash of photos from her teens and early 20s - her allure was obvious. This image was particularly astounding, as she'd always been quite tight-lipped about life before my father. I imagine Eunice as a real heartbreaker, part man-crazed party doll, part calculating social mover, and thoroughly independent. All positive attributes! Today would have been her 95th birthday.



She had long since ripped at least one budding squire out of her life, but who could it have been? (I have suspicions - her high school graduation Autographs book is stuffed with variations on "Roses are red, violets are blue...") She was the queen of tiny Warwick, Georgia, but attended high school in the neighboring town of Sylvester, which must have seemed like Kuala Lumpur by comparison. Here, in 1940, she's radiant, 19, ready to take on all comers. Then, of course, she met my grease monkey father five or six years later and all bets were off - it was love at first sight for both. Thanks for everything, Mom. You were a handful.

Comments

Popular Posts